Genetic Doping in Sport: The Facts and the Future 1-day seminar 27 July 2006
Sydney Olympic Park
The prospect of a genetically engineered athlete is now a reality (Parisotto, 2006). Science has reached the stage where it is possible to determine an individual’s potential from their genetic make-up and we are seeing the increasing spectre of gene doping looming large in athletes and sporting contests.
This seminar will provide an in-depth analysis and understanding of the history, science, practice, policy and ethics of genetic doping in sport and what the future might hold.
Professor Peter Fricker, Director of the Australian Institute of Sport.
Dr Brian Sando Chief Medical Officer for the last five Olympic Games.
Dr Damien Abarno Research Geneticist, University of South Australia and Sport Knowledge Australia.
Mr Robin Parisotto Principal researcher for the AIS ‘EPO 2000 Project’ and author of the recent book “Blood Sports”
Benefits To Participants
You will learn about:
- the biology underpinning genetic doping effects on physiology
- genes that are currently linked to physiology and performance
- genetic testing for athlete potential - how it is done and some of the current testing being carried out
- gene doping - it’s origins, application and regulations.
- the extent of gene doping in international sports
- the testing and impact of genetics in sport at the club, national and international level.
- the ethical implications of genetic doping and testing in sports.
It promises to be an outstanding and unique opportunity to engage with the leading thinkers, practitioners and policy makers on this controversial but now very real issue.
Who Should Attend
- Sports organisations
- Coaches and managers
- Strength and conditioning coaches
- Government Departments of Sport and Health
- Sport Institutes
- Player Associations
- Professional Associations for sport science and medicine
- Pharmaceutical organizations
- Media commentators
COST AU$495 (Incl GST)**DATE 27 July 2006 VENUE Sydney Olympic Park RSVP 21 July 2006 **The above cost includes morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea. 5% off for registrations made before 26 May 2006 For all courses offered by Sport Knowledge Australia, please visit http://www.sportedu.org Telephone + 61 2 9390 9390, Fax + 61 2 9390 9391, Email firstname.lastname@example.org Level 1, Building A - 1 Herb Elliott Ave - Sydney Olympic Park - NSW 2127 Australia